Although MyPyramid will no longer be the icon for the dietary guidelines, the nutritional information is still available on the MyPlate site.
How can you make a healthy plate? The new guidelines encourage changes in these three areas:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals-and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.